Sunday, September 18, 2011

For any business, it is essential that all money distributed, collected, paid, or taken in, is organized in a efficient, concise, and centralized location. Most businesses, from small pop-and-mom shops, to large corporations, use Microsoft Excel for this task, and Track It All is no exception.

Microsoft Excel is a very powerful program, especially when operated by an advanced user. For my business, Track It All, I will use Microsoft Excel to create charts, and track my y-o-y business growth.

Charts are pretty. They are the eye candy of the business world. They allow boring, confusing numbers to be represented in a recognizable way. Thus, I will use charts, created from data that I input into Excel, in meetings with potential investors. The charts will show the revenue growth, and profit earned of Track It All.

Conditional formatting and functions are two very useful ways for me to track the growth of my company. Functions allow me to easily find the average, sum, max, and  min of my earnings. For example, I could use functions to see the average spending on R&D in my company for the last three months. Or I could find the maximum and minimum expenditure in my company the last six months. Conditional formatting is also very useful in Excel. For example, I could use conditional formatting to highlight any department that I may be losing money.

Excel is a very powerful program. It is responsible for running the business aspect of my startup. I will use it to track all my income, find and discover any department in my company where I am losing money, track my y-o-y growth, and also to create useful charts to show potential investors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment